GRC Student Chapters
The Geothermal Resources Council (GRC) Student Committee is formally asking companies for any information on open or upcoming internships or entry level jobs appropriate for students who are active in geothermal research.
Featured Student Publication
Student Committee member Kamran Jahan Baksh of the Colorado School of Mines - Mining Engineering Dept. presentied a paper at the Stanford Geothermal Workshop.
Modeling Thermal Breakthrough in Sedimentary Geothermal System, Using COMSOL Multiphysics
Kamran JAHAN BAKHSH, Masami NAKAGAWA, Mahmood ARSHAD, Lucila DUNNINGTON
It is known that premature thermal breakthrough in the production well and cooling due to injection of cold water into a geothermal reservoir can degrade the quality of the reservoir operation. As the heat and mass transfer in the reservoir depends on the internal features of the reservoir and the interfacial features of surrounding rocks, there has been an increased effort to model geothermal reservoirs with detailed pore structures. In this work, the effect of heat extraction on advancement of cold front in both reservoir and surrounding host rock will be discussed. A segment of the deep sedimentary basin consists of high permeable fracture in a region with high temperature gradient is modeled. The influence of variable permeability on heat transfer within reservoir will be numerically investigated. COMSOL Multiphysics is used to generate models with different permeability
distribution for host rock.
Meet Your Student Committee - 2017
Student Committee Representative to the Board of Directors: Clinton Smith
The 2017 GRC Scholarship Awards will be announced at the GRC Annual Meeting.
Geothermal Resources Council Scholarships 2016
Geothermal Resources Council Announces Scholarship Winners (PDF) (August 1, 2016)
- GRC Undergraduate awards ($1500): Chantel Jensen (University of California, Davis); Jon Golla (University of Puget Sound)
- GRC Graduate awards ($2500): Erin Camp (Cornell University); Jeff Cullen (University of Texas at Austin); Gudni Rosenkjaer (University of British Columbia)
- GRC Project award ($4500): Joshua Blackstock (University of Arkansas)
The scholarships were presented at the GRC Awards Luncheon at the GRC Annual Meeting, in Sacramento, California, USA, on Wednesday, October 26, 2016.
Geothermal Resources Council Scholarships 2015
Geothermal Resources Council Announces Scholarship Winners (PDF) (August 10, 2015)
- GRC Student Project Award ($4,500): Marisa Earll – Master’s student in the Department of Hydrology and Water Resources at the University of Arizona.
- GRC Graduate Scholarship Awards ($2,500 each): Owen Callahan - PhD candidate at University of Texas at Austin, Cari Covell - Master’s student at the Iceland School of Energy of Reykjavik University, and Cary Lindsey - PhD student at University of Idaho.
- GRC Undergraduate Scholarship Awards ($1,500 each): Thomas Lund - Mechanical Engineering student at University of Colorado, Boulder and Jeffrey Olson - Petroleum Engineering student at Colorado School of Mines.
The scholarships, totaling $15,000, were presented at the Annual GRC Membership & Awards Luncheon at the GRC Annual Meeting, held at the Peppermill Resort Spa Casino, Reno, Nevada, USA, from September 20 – 23, 2015.
Geothermal Resources Council Scholarships 2014
Geothermal Resources Council Announces Scholarship Winners (PDF) (June 23, 2014)
GRC Undergraduate scholarships ($1,500): Megan Dewit of Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, Canada, and Paige Granneman of the University of California, Santa Barbara, USA.
GRC Graduate scholarships ($2,500): Nastaran Arianpoo of the University of British Columbia, Canada; Joseph Batir of Southern Methodist University, Texas, USA, and Maciej Lukawski of Cornell Energy Institute in New York, USA.
GRC Geothermal Project award ($4,500): Holly McLachlan of the University of Nevada, Reno, USA.
The recipients were presented with their awards at the 2014 GRC Annual Meeting, held at the Oregon Convention Center, Portland, Oregon, USA, September 28 – October 1, 2014.
Geothermal Programs at Universities
Universities offering education and training in geothermal energy in Europe